Through our Education programs, you will explore the complex social, psychological, economic, historical, political, and cultural issues that impact schools and school children. Our mission is to provide opportunities for you to combine coursework in your major with interactive academic coursework and hands-on service-learning experiences focused on educational issues. You will reflect deeply on underlying educational principles and gain the insight needed to become advocates for educational issues within the United States.
Our programs foster the development of these essential learning outcomes:
- Intellectual Skills (reasoning and critical thinking)
- Cross-Cultural Competency (appreciation of diversity)
- Civic Responsibility (agents for social change)
- Ethical Reasoning (thinking through issues of values)
- Empathy and Perspective Taking (examining viewpoints of others)
The mission of the Program in Education is also influenced by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI). These external accreditation agencies require evidence-based, data-driven program review on an ongoing basis.