Please apply to the MAT program via the application on the Duke Graduate School Admissions site. Applications are due by January 15, 2021.
- An undergraduate degree in the intended teaching field (or closely related field)
- Undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.0
- Acceptable GRE scores (verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing)
- Letters of recommendation which speak to the applicant's ability to pursue graduate level work as well as his/her capacity to work as a secondary school teacher
- International applicants must achieve TOEFL scores of at least 577 (paper) or 97 (internet)
Applicants to the program complete the Graduate School Application, available online. Incomplete applications will not be considered. The MAT Faculty Advisory Committee reviews applications, and committee members interview applicants. The Dean of the Graduate School makes offers of admission.
Applicants to the program must complete their electronic application and submit supporting documentation by January 15. Offers of admission are made prior to the April 15 deadline for accepting offers of financial support and admission.
Tuition & Financial Aid
The cost of tuition for the MAT Program for the 2021-2022 year is $49,990.
Students who demonstrate financial need can expect financial assistance from the program, either in the form of a general grant or an MAT-administered endowed scholarship. The same needs-based criteria used for federal financial aid is used by MAT in making awards. In order to demonstrate financial need, students must complete the free FAFSA Form by January 15.
The Durham Teaching Fellowship
The Durham Teaching Fellowship is a competitive graduate fellowship jointly funded by the President's Office, Trinity College's Dean's office, and the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) Program. The Fellowship includes full tuition and a $12,000 stipend ($1,500 per month from September - April). This fellowship is administered as a forgivable loan requiring teaching for two years in Durham Public Schools during the first four years after completing the program. Candidates in all subject areas are eligible to apply.