Secondary Teacher License (9-12)
The Secondary Teacher Preparation Program earns undergraduates a teaching license from North Carolina, and a Minor in Education from Duke. This license is now reciprocal with all 50 states. Duke students may seek licensure in one of four areas: English, Math, Social Studies or Science.
Requirements – 7 Courses
In addition to the courses needed to fulfill your major, you must take the following:
- EDUC 101 Social and Philosophical Foundations of Education (must be taken before senior Fall)
- EDUC 240 Educational Psychology (should be taken before senior Fall)
- One course in Psychology (PSY) (e.g. Developmental or Adolescent)
- EDUC 495 Teaching High School (senior fall)
- EDUC 496S Secondary School Issues: Pedagogy, Culture, and Methods (senior spring)
- EDUC 497S Reflective Practice and School Leadership (senior spring)
- EDUC 498 Secondary Education Internship (student teaching; offered only in senior spring, counts for 2 course credits)
NOTE: To be eligible for a NC Teaching License in secondary education, you must also have taken at least 24 hours (8 course credits) in English, Social Studies, Math, and/or Science.
The Student Teaching Internship is a valuable part of our program. It provides an abundance of support, but also the opportunity to experiment and hone your skills as an educator under the guidance of many supportive mentors. More information can be found here.
Continuing Studies Scholarship
If you are an upperclassman, it is not too late to complete the program. There is an option of returning for a 5th year in order to complete the requirements for a professional teaching license. Please consider applying as a Continuing Studies Scholar in order to further your goals of becoming an effective educator for our youth.
Interested undergraduate students may apply to the secondary school teaching program beginning in the sophomore year.
- Secondary School Teacher Licensure for English is open only to students who major in English.
- Secondary School Teacher Licensure for Mathematics is open only to students who major in Mathematics.
- Secondary School Teacher Licensure for Social Studies is open only to students who major in cultural anthropology, economics, history, political science, psychology, public policy, religion or sociology.
- Secondary School Teacher Licensure for Science is open only to students who major in evolutionary anthropology, biology, chemistry, environmental studies, geology or physics.